[Tango-L] How wide is the base of "The Lead Pyramid"?

Noughts damian.thompson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 22:54:01 EST 2009

Well,

Funny enough, but I actually had some requests to clarify the need for
using hands on this as well.

Well, I don't use them, my partner doesn't need me to use them because
as a partnership, I ask her to do things, she accepts and does them.
I don't need to place my hand on her back to stop her in a stop, or a
check step - more oft' called a rebound step or rock step if you have
a ballroom/rock'n'roll background.  My partner knows that when I
pause, it is for her, her to decorate at the appropriate time and that
my role is then to follow until she allows me to continue to ask her
to dance with me...  To stop her, either I just straighten my legs and
stand, becoming still and calm, or I lower even further....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkcTpqa1XME&feature=channel

If I am leading and my partner is following and her role is to
maintain the distance between us unless I choose to open or close it
(art of leading), then she should maintain the distance apart from me
not necessitating the need to use my hand to 'stop' her.  It is a
simple change of direction.  Do we need to use our arms/hands to
rotate her for a pivot - I hope not, but it certainly was done and
taught 'many' years ago.  Many of those teachers that used to teach
that, now - don't.  I wonder why that is....

Damian