[Tango-L] Cabeceo [was "Shocked"]

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 16:43:14 EST 2009

This might come as a surprise to many but not everyone in enamored
with the cabeceo. My partner danced Ballroom for many years, where
the tradition is that the man comes to her table and politely asks her
for the pleasure of the next dance. And, if he has a little charming chat,
then so much the better. For her, a wink and a nod just isn't what a
gentleman does if he wants to dance with a lady. And let's not forget
why the cabeceo was invented - to protect the male Argentines' fragile
ego.

And, as for the lady searching out a man's eyes in the hope that he
will invite her to dance, well, to my partner, that's just not how a lady
behaves.

Tonight, I'm going to El Beso, where I'll again be confronted by a
full-wall-length of ladies with fixed smiles, desperatley hoping that
someone, anyone will ask them to dance. It's just a little sad ...

Jack