[Tango-L] Cabeceo

Glenn kiaora50 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 15:08:59 EST 2009

I agree that the cabeceo is preferable, but I disagree that it should be enforced.  And women are just as bad as men when it comes to using the cabeceo, "it takes two to cabeceo" ;-) and I think most people (men or woemen) would rather dance than sit on the side as a martyr to the cabeceo.

There are many reasons the cabeceo is not used often:

The biggest problem is the instructors don't spend enough time teaching it.

Dark venues could be a problem, but I haven't been to many that were too dark for people with normal eyesight.  (Many newer cameras have low light settings, if you must take pictures)

Eyesight is a problem for some who cannot see another person initiating a cabeceo from more than a few feet.

Venue layout can be a big problem.  It is sometimes impossible to get within the other persons field of cabavision.

etc.

Then there are the times when you see someone leaving the dance floor who is obviously distressed from their last partner (most often a newer dancer who may be ready to throw in the towel on tango) and may be oblivious to any cabeceo but would benefit from a considerate verbal request to dance from a caring individual.

Again, to be clear, the cabeceo should be the preferred method of asking for and accepting a dance, but there are valid exceptions.

Glenn