[Tango-L] Bad teachers produce bad dancers?

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Dec 29 09:55:34 EST 2009

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel wrote:
> You have to take into consideration talent, (good) taste, (common)
> sense, sensibility, experience (with other dances or sports), age,
> pysical fitness, (good) dance partners, (good) perception, (high)
> level of Tango-community, reason and of course (the right)
> practice

...and humility. The moment you think you know everything about a
particular subject is the moment you stop to improve. The problem
is that that moment comes when you do understand it for 5% of the
people, but 95% of the people think they're in that 5%.

Personally I'm only more or less satisfied something when I
*feel* the step and the energy just the way I feel it while
I look at someone more accomplished. Not just the steps,
but the way something breathes, how energy is stored
and released, the exact timing of everything *within* one single
step, and how it all plays with the music.

On the rare moments that you can get that "this feels just right"
experience, I rarely still have those "Oh my God! Yuck!"
moments after someone videotapes me and I get to see the video.

Often I *do* get those painful moments if I'm taped
before I've actually become satisfied (even when other people
think I'm doing just fine, the defects usually stick out like
a sore thumb to me, and I feel like hitting myself over
the head.)

And yes, I can see that someone who's blind to these subtleties
and has concrete cast in the ear will miss all that, but often
people are blind and deaf through arrogance and lack of attention
more than they are through "bad perception" in se.