[Tango-L] Bad teachers produce bad dancers?

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel tango at tangodesalon.de
Tue Dec 29 09:17:30 EST 2009

Hi there,

I know, this might sund funny, coming from a teacher, but I just have
to comment on this sentence in the mail of HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com (Who's
behind this Alias anyway?):
"... I do know that it (bad teachers) produces bad dancers that
disrupt the floor for the rest of us...."

Actually I am not so sure about this. I've seen a lot of good dancers,
who only took classes with the worst teachers and quite some awful
dancers, who had access to great instruction. To me, the statistical
relation between good instruction and becoming a good dancer does not
seem to be very significant. Unfortunately.
I don't say, that is hurts, to take classes with good teachers, 'cause
they can give you great ideas and infos, but you won't become a good
dancer just by this.
You have to take into consideration talent, (good) taste, (common)
sense, sensibility, experience (with other dances or sports), age,
pysical fitness, (good) dance partners, (good) perception, (high)
level of Tango-community, reason and of course (the right)
practice. ... So please, don't blame it all on the teachers!
If you are intelligent enough and think about what you're doing, you
might even learn from real bad teachers. I did! ;-)

Happy New Year,

Melina

MELINA SEDO & DETLEF ENGEL
www.tangodesalon.de