[Tango-L] SA- Neuvo Theory vs Practice: Creating a Social

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Dec 15 06:38:27 EST 2009

Sandhill Crane wrote:
> --- On Mon, 12/14/09, Tony Rathburn <webmaster at tonyrathburn.com> wrote:
>
>> i'm amused by the religious fervor...
>> attempting to protect the sanctity...
>> of tango milonguero...
>> from the influences of change...
>
> I've been making a lot of noise about obnoxious tango
> nuevo dancers on this list, but as I've said before,
> I'm not a purist. I don't care exactly what steps
> someone else is doing, so long as they have good
> behavior in the ronda.

Bingo. I couldn't have expressed it better myself
(and failed to do so as succinctly in the embittered
bickering).

> Why am I complaining about obnoxious nuevo dancers
> and not obnoxious dancers in general? The difference
> is that nobody considers obnoxious traditional dancers
> to be cool or admirable or trend-setters or worthy of
> imitation; they're just crappy dancers.

I agree that finding someone who's obnoxious worthy of
admiration is something that we should combat with peer
pressure as much as we could. Doing something "novel" is
no excuse for rudeness (at least not unless you want
to define "punk tango", which I'll agree would be a
different art form. I'm not sure it'd be a *social*
dance, though).