[Tango-L] SA- Neuvo Theory vs Practice: Creating a Social

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 00:16:26 EST 2009

--- On Mon, 12/14/09, Tony Rathburn <webmaster at tonyrathburn.com> wrote:

> i'm amused by the religious fervor...
> attempting to protect the sanctity...
> of tango milonguero...
> from the influences of change...

I've been making a lot of noise about obnoxious tango
nuevo dancers on this list, but as I've said before,
I'm not a purist. I don't care exactly what steps
someone else is doing, so long as they have good
behavior in the ronda.

Why am I complaining about obnoxious nuevo dancers
and not obnoxious dancers in general? The difference
is that nobody considers obnoxious traditional dancers
to be cool or admirable or trend-setters or worthy of
imitation; they're just crappy dancers.

> dance the dance...
> that you enjoy...
>
> but don't expect me...
> to dance your dance...

Fine by me. So long as you don't cut across the
line of dance, don't go against the line of dance,
don't lead your partner to kick me or my partner,
and don't try to find out just how close you can
come to me without colliding --
we'll get along just fine.