[Tango-L] Less and less Milongas (song)

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 05:25:38 EDT 2009

I just finished taking a workshop with an Argentine
(close embrace Milonguero) instructor who travels the
world teaching. He commented that in places where the
quality of dance is getting good, they are playing
less and less Milongas (song) during the Milonga.
He suggested that as a dancer gets good, they become
afraid of making 'mistakes' and don't want to dance
the Milongas (songs)for fear of making mistakes.
He also commented that the 'Nuevo', style of dance,
focuses in a way that is the opposite of how a
Milonga (song) dancer needs to approach that dance.
>From my own experience in Philadelphia, the Milonga
is being played less and less and almost already extinct in
some dances. What a let down.