[Tango-L] The demise of Tango

sopelote@yahoo.com sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 09:35:32 EDT 2009

"And any "connection advantage" that a porteño has from his understanding
of traditional Tango music, the lyrics, the cultural context, etc., is
negated when one is talking about nuevo tango music, much of which is
mediocre techno pop with bandoneon added."  - Shankarah

 I took up playing Flamenco guitar in the sixties. The 'Golden Age' of
Flamenco had lasted into the early Fifties and was already heading somewhere else...I watched that beautiful and profound/feeling music slowly but steadily degrade from an in-home and neighborhood product (la juerga) into something staged strictly for it's look and entertainment.
Anyone, championing the old, golden-age form of the song and dance was to
be sadly disappointed as it disappeared from the culture. Today, we have
the 'Gypsy Kings' and if you enjoy their music, you too, are part of the
demise of a music that once easily brought tears to one's eyes.
 Why should the 'progression' of tango be any different than that of Flamenco? On every side we hear champions of 'progress' and 'alternatives'.
Trying to postpone what seems to be the inevitable will be like trying to woo children from ice cream back to good salads. In my opinion we need a revolution in the 'teaching' industry...We need more teachers who have risen from the ranks of the Milongas of BsAs..Milongueros who dance every night if possible. Somehow, they will have to also don the hat of a 'teacher' too and they will have to do it for the love of the art not just the moohlah $$$...this is a lot to ask. Say goodbye to Tango as we knew it..say hello to the new Gypsy Kings.