[Tango-L] Paying my dues

newtonr@mscd.edu newtonr at mscd.edu
Thu Apr 23 17:20:19 EDT 2009

I too considered myself an experienced AT dancer.  But perhaps it was
only my perception. Only a sojourn to the mecca of milongas would
offer insight. Fortunately, I was briefed on what to expect,
especially in regards to the neighborhood milongas. The elbows, the
blocking and boxing-in (of the space, especially in the corners) only
to be topped by a rather large alpha milonguero, timing his entry into
my LOD, protruding his buttocks first to define his space, and then
stopping to ease into the embrace in the middle of the song.  After
all, it was his neighborhood and his club, I was a visitor.

It was an honourable challenge to how I would react.  A challenge to
any newcomer, gringo or one from another barrio.  Handling these
situations with humor and dignity without losing the feeling or rhythm
of the song is what is expected, sort of like the fraternity hazing
one would expect in college, but more importantly because you owe this
grace to your Argentine partner.  She knows what the guys are doing
and she knows why, she accepted your cabeceo and you must not let her
down.  Although this is going on all around you, she must not feel
your discomfort.  Lose your cool and the whole world becomes chaotic.
This to me is life - “Tango is life”, I believe Maria Nieves said.
Pass the tests and you're welcomed warmly, it’s a wonderful real
culture.

Abrazos, Richard