[Tango-L] Argentines vs. non-Argentines

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Thu Apr 23 21:12:23 EDT 2009

Before you travel to Argentina you could benefit by spending some time
with Deby Novitz's often funny, often insightful online diary of her
years there since 2004.  And if you want an apartment for that time she
has one in Palermo.

http://tangospam.typepad.com/
http://www.lavidacondeby.com/Home/welcome.htm

Deby writes -----------> To come here and not experience the culture -
the food - pizza, empanadas, parilla, and the many other things that
Buenos Aires has to offer is sort of sad.

I have to agree (though understand that I'm not claiming that Michael
did not). BsAs - indeed, Argentina - is a beautiful, fascinating place.
It deserves for everyone to play tourist there, in a way that respects
those around you. It would also be a good idea to learn enough Spanish
before you go so that you can get acquainted with some of the people.
Tango dancing there is wonderful, but the tango people there are
wonderfuller. Well, many of them anyway!

She also writes -----------> When people say they think that North
Americans dance better than Argentines?  What your little feet are
pointing better?  You have more figures?

It's my opinion that non-Argentine tango dancers ON THE AVERAGE do
dance better than Argentine tango dancers ON THE AVERAGE. Perhaps this
is comparing apples with oranges. I think it's more like comparing a
huge barrel of apples someone randomly picked with a tiny basket of
more carefully selected ones.

Or maybe it IS apples vs. oranges. I broached this subject to an
Argentine at Lo De Celia who had lived in Boston for many years. He was
amused and said something like, "You Americans! You take tango too
serious. Loosen up! Tango is for fun."

Deby also writes -----------> The one thing you do not have is that you
do not understand the music, the soul of tango.  North Americans,
generally speaking are so concentrated on being the best technically
they dance without soul.

I agree with this, especially since Deby qualifies her statement as
"North Americans, GENERALLY SPEAKING..." For I believe that there are
plenty of exceptions to this description of non-Argentine tango
dancers. That there are many, all over the world, who hear tango music
and feel a deep intuitive connection to it and to what some pieces of
it tries wordless to say, and to the dance which (when we are at our
best) expresses those pieces of music.

Surely others than Argentines can feel a deep sense of loss for a time
or place or person forever lost? The joy of moving with the music and
your partner and (if we are lucky) the others in the flow of dancers
around the floor? The warmth of being with someone you like? The world-
brightening breathless excitement of embracing someone you find
attractive?

I'm sure it works the other way. That there are many Argentines who
hear the music and see the dance and are totally baffled and bored with
what they see and hear. Just as there are many Americans who hear swing
music and dancing, invented by (originally black) Americans, and are
totally baffled and bored by it.

Larry de Los Angeles - novelette "Lady Death" added to
http://ShapechangerTales.com