[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #7: Milonga Review

Cammie milonguera at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 05:59:03 EDT 2009

From: "Michael" <tangomaniac at cavtel.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:41 AM
To: "Tango-L List" <Tango-L at mit.edu>
Subject: [Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #7: Milonga Review

5. Miscellaneous
DJs seem to follow the 2-1-2-1 approach to music. 2 tandas of tango, 1
tanda waltz, 2 tandas tango, 1 tanda of milonga. In the States, the
pattern seems to be 4-1-4-1.

Sorin Varzaru replied:

"Where are you dancing? In the NE (Boston, NYC, Montreal) I have heard
either
2-1-2-1 or 2-1-1-1. Same for all festivals I attended."

At the milongas in the Denver/Boulder area we virtually always have 2-1-2-1
progressions of tandas.  It has been the same at the many festivals I have
attended, including the Denver, Portland, Atlanta and St. Louis festivals.
Cammie.