[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #4: Before you dance?

Don Klein don at aymta.org
Mon Apr 20 15:58:29 EDT 2009

> Sergio Vandekier wrote:
>
> To exchange money you may use banks, Casas de cambio ("Cambio", or ATM machines.
> The ATM machine may charge a fee if you use cards from a different banck, it will not charge a fee if you use a branch of the bank that isued the card. (This is the same as at home).
> The fee charged sometimes is for "each transaction" even when you ask for your balance. I heard (I am not sure) the fee is anywhere from 2 to 8 dollars).

I've never been charged a fee--in BsAs, Europe, Taiwan.  In my limited
experience the US is the only place where banks charges  fees if you
withdraw from another bank's ATM (which also charges a fee).  If your
bank  charges Foreign Currency Transaction fees/Currency Exchange fees,
find a different bank, at least for overseas travel.
> For transportation from the airport at Ezeiza you may go to the "Ezeiza TAxi" stand in the hall after you leave coustoms.  It is a Blue and white stand and it has a board listing the fare to different areas of the city.
> If you use a porter for your luggage do not allow him to select the remis company as he most certainly will have a comission that will be charged to you.
> The usual transportation fee from Ezeiza to most places in town is 80 to 100 pesos (28 dollars). This includes the toll (less than 10 pesos).

Although slightly more expensive, I'd like to put in a pitch for Dante
Proaño <http://www.dantesairporttransfers.hazedaze.com/>.  We've used
him every trip, to & from, makes arriving/departing more painless.

Don