[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #7: Milonga Review

Noughts damian.thompson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:47:48 EDT 2009

Fairly consistently in BA is the 2-1-2-1 approach.  Even at a 'nuevo'
milonga.  However, at the nuevo milongas, they add in a single tanda
of 'nuevo' music for 1 of the tango tandas every 2nd cycle if that is
1 cycle described...

La Viruta, same cylcle, but they will play cylces of 6 songs in each
tanda of music, best to know who you are dancing with then ;-)  Not
uncommon to not do the whole tanda there with one person, but still
considered a bit rude to leave early.

>> 5. Miscellaneous
>> DJs seem to follow the 2-1-2-1 approach to music. 2 tandas of tango, 1
>> tanda waltz, 2 tandas tango, 1 tanda of milonga. In the States, the
>> pattern seems to be
>> 4-1-4-1.
>

> Interesting that you say that as I recall it being around 3-1-3-1 .  It  is
> around 6-1-6-1 in some places in Australia.

Well, I have never seen 6-1-6-1 in Australia, ever...  The worst I
have seen in Australia is an Italian 'Gent' that does not play
consistent size tanda's and there could be up to 7 in a single
tanda....

My worst experience was at this location..
7 Vals
1 Milonga
6 Vals
2 Tango
7 Vals....
and so on....

This made it very difficult to ask ladies to dance and not appear to
be a bastard when you get them up for Vals, then new lady for the
Milonga then.... etc....