[Tango-L] tango and rhythm 3

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Sun Apr 19 22:45:57 EDT 2009

The natural rhythm of the tango has several profound consequences.

One is that learning to dance tango at the most basic level is fairly
easy.  You just embrace your partner and walk around the dance floor to
the music.  Well, easy at first.  When you become an advanced dancer
you may do what many before you have done - return to the most basic
level and start again, this time paying attention to subtleties you may
not have even been able to notice when you began tango.  As milonguero
Puppy Castello said, "Figures are easy; walking is hard."

One other is that, not having to focus on a difficult rhythm such as
West Coast Swing's slow-slow-quickity-quick, you have more time to
focus on your embrace and the person in it, other people sharing the
floor, and the music.  The intimacy of the first of those is why it is
possible in tango to feel so much depth of emotion in a simple dance.

Another consequence is that it is easier to recover from mistakes made
while dancing, something everyone does no matter how great they are.
We've had decades of practice recovering to a simple walk.  We may even
come to welcome mistakes, as proof that we have the courage to risk
adventures.  And discover new ways of dancing in the midst of the
recovery.  And gain confidence in our ability to meet challenges.

Another is that if a simple walk becomes boring we already have many
tricks to enliven it.  We can add adornos between each step by tapping
the floor with the ball or toe of our foot (golpes and golpecitos).  Or
giving little kicks in front of or behind or beside our supporting foot
(or larger kicks when the traffic allows.): amagues, boleos, and so on.
We can play with the rhythm.  We can play with our relationship with
our partner, perhaps by walking to their left or right rather than with
our right (or rarely left) leg inside their legs.

And if we grow tired or faint-hearted or aware of an annoyed partner
tired of our foolishments we can always retreat to the basics.  Or if a
sad tango is being played we can express sorrow by dancing with simple
but deeply-felt emotion, remembering those people away from us, perhaps
forever.

Larry de Los Angeles
http://ShapechangerTales.com