[Tango-L] ..1 1/2 yrs of watching YouTube

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 13:28:14 EDT 2009

..This is what I’m seeing after 1 1/2 yrs of
Watching YouTube.... Note: The videos watched were mostly of
very proficient dancers doing a close embrace/
milonguero style of dancing in Tango and Vals.
Tango Nuevo and/or a performance dance does not follow these patterns, we are only talking about closed embrace social dancing.

1. 90% of 'walk to the cross' is done in cross footed position.
2. A 10% (or less) is done in parallel footing.
3. Cross footed is also used for the back crosses and back ochos.
4. That's about all you will see done crossed feet but some dancers
use the walk to the cross, back cross , ochos and giros for 90% of their dance.
5. After the (cross footed) walk to the cross is executed, usually there follows: an immediate giro or a few steps in parallel (or a milonga box) and then a giro right or left. This pattern is amazingly similar with most dancers. It seems like THE thing to do after the walk to the cross.
6. All rhythmic patterns are usually danced in parallel position. Witness
the Milonga (song) which is 99% danced parallel feet. I checked with
some students of the old guard Milongueros and they agree that Parallel feet was preferred for the most musical/synchopated passages.
7. The old generation of milongueros (Richard Vidort, etc) danced a lot in parallel position and improvised mainly in it. In looking at the
old guard, some prefer to dance almost entirely in crossed feet for the Tango and Vals while others choose mainly parallel footing for their dances. (Repetitive movements are important in social dancing with random partners.)
8. Walking, outside follow's right, usually signals a cross footed walk to the cross. The cross then always follows a couple of steps later. When walking on the outside right is in parallel footing, there usually is not a walk to the cross but an extended outside walk or a few steps later a box or giro. Only rarely do I see a cross follow in parallel feet. (=1 or 2 a month after watching many videos daily.)
The difference is that cross footed outside right is a signal to walk to
the cross...while in parallel it can mean a giro soon or an extended rhythmic walk.
9. So, walking cross footed means either an immediate walk to the cross or back crosses first (back ochos, too) and then a walk to the cross. .
When a giro or any turn variation exits with the lead walking outside
right in crossed feet, the cross follows immediately.
10. Walking outside follow's left is usually only done for a couple of steps and then the lead crosses in front to go parallel or outside follow's right.
11. The first step in walking for follow or lead is; if forward begin with the left foot, if backward begin with the right foot. If the first step of a dance (or most sequences) is sideways (open), it's always to the leader's left side.
12. When a leader walks outside follow's right in parallel, he usually does a giro before ever reaching the cross. I have only seen the outside parallel go all the way to the cross about once in a zillion (70?) dances.
13. Any synchopation of the walk, with rock steps, etc. thrown in, is always done in parallel footing. (perhaps for the mirroring desired?)
14. Only 3 or 4 patterns; (walk to cross, back crosses, giros, etc.) need
be learned, and made automatic, to be able to improvise and lead an
enjoyable social dance for both partners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUxVZUtRfA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX-nunHKNqs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmek2EfkjI
The above three videos are good examples of the complete dance
done simply, enjoyably and elegantly.
15. Last but not least; the term "Milonguero" (as used here) applies to someone who is dancing socially, has the embrace and Music as THE most important thing happening, during the dance, and would rather feel good than look good (if given the choice).

Well, this is what I've just written down off the top of my head in a few minutes. Any additions, corrections, agreements from others will be enthusiasticly received.
I believe that observations like this are a help in putting together one’s own dance, especially for being able to see the forest thru all the trees...thanks for reading this far.