[Tango-L] Gavito's Lead & Plan B

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 01:29:33 EDT 2008

This is very frustrating because many people are still talking at cross
purposes. As many have already said, misunderstanding a lead and
doing something unintended is a totally different thing to deliberately
refusing a lead for no other reason than the lady wanting to do
something other than what has been clearly led.

But Gavito's comment brings up something very useful for all leaders -
something I've heard referred to as 'Plan B'. Most leaders will know
that leads don't always get followed as expected. But those with
experience will learn where this is likely to happen and will have
contingency plans, just as Gavito was describing.

In my case, I sometimes like to use a Sacada to lead the lady to cross
left in front of right or right in front of left. Depending on how it's led, there
are a number of possible options for the lady. For example, she might be
led to transfer weight at the cross and to continue with the other foot or
to cross low but rebound with the same foot or she might do a high Front
Boleo. Although I will intend to lead one specific option, I know there is
always a chance that the lady will take one of the other options. This
might be my fault or the lady's but it doesn't really matter beacuse it
won't be a problem as I'll simply continue with 'Plan B' and the lady will
think she followed my lead perfectly. The man should always be prepared
for the unexpected but, as I say, that's a completely different thing to
having one's lead deliberately rejected.

Jack