[Tango-L] Social rejection

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Sep 29 20:05:00 EDT 2008

Hi, Tine and everyone,

I can't prescribe ways of making rejection less painful in tango.  I
can only aspire to bring some awareness.  It is important that each
person decides for himself/herself how to use any information on this
subject.  Those who truly want to avoid causing unnecessary pain,
will develop their own strategies and their own unique styles of communication.

We can look at what hurts people in tango as dance rejection.  It
could be many things - not being asked, not being asked by people who
used to ask, not being asked by specific people one wants to dance
with, verbally and non-verbally saying "no", avoiding to the point of
a showing clear intention not to dance with a person, etc.  The
important thing to remember is that we do not always know what might
trigger the other person.

In regard to rejection in tango, I like looking at the proper
boundaries of each situation.  There are things that we can control
and things that we cannot.  It is helpful to know that difference
within the unique context of each situation.  If one can say a polite
and warm hello instead of dancing and keep moving, it is one
thing.  If one is cornered into a verbal exchange and has to say
"no", that is a completely different situation.

The other thing to look at is values.  I know several women that
continue to dance with men they hate dancing with.  When asked why
they do so, the answer is the same from all of them - they don't want
to hurt anyone's feelings.  To these women, the pain of hurting
someone's feelings is greater than the pain of dancing with
them.  This is important to know.  It is about what each person
values.  This touches on the very core of who the person is.

I think that how good a person is with himself/herself also
determines how graceful and less painful their rejection can be.  I
like to make a distinction between who the people are vs. their
behavior/conduct.  In tango, as in all relationships (I hate this
word), it is much better to reject a person's dancing, but not the
person.  This requires charm.

Rejection is unavoidable.  What makes a difference is how it is
delivered.  If you remember that each grown up person is just a kid
in a big body, you will know how to make your choices in a kinder way.

My very best regards,

Nina