[Tango-L] Social rejection

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Sep 29 08:43:09 EDT 2008

Hello, everyone,

I received a few private replies arguing that "rejection in tango is
OK, just like anything else in life".  To set things straight - just
because it exists, it does not make it acceptable or OK.

Naomi Eisenberger, PhD, has done a lot of research in the area of
social rejection.  She used electroencephalogram (QEEG) scans to map
the brain's response to rejection.  Her research has shown that
social rejection lights up the same parts of the brain as physical
pain.  He original work was her dissertation in 1996 and she has
published extensively since then on this topic.  If you have access
to an academic online library, you should be able to access her
publications fairly easily.  Very elegant research.

There is a reason why I am hooking into this subject for
tango.  There are ways to handle things without provoking the
feelings of social rejection in people.  There are also remedies to
make things better should painful social interaction occur.

We can't control what might trigger someone else, but we can avoid
inflicting pain on others if we are aware of what, generally, might
do that.  Awareness is important.

Best,

Nina