[Tango-L] Tergiversar = to distort, twist

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 15:56:01 EDT 2008

Nina, I always enjoy your posts, but please remember that you're free to use your delete key.

--- On Thu, 9/25/08, David Thorn <thorn-inside at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know how you know my regular partner's
> skill level.
> I mentioned in a prior post that I can lead with
> clarity(?), and she will follow precisely what I lead.
> If I don't open the door for her to choose to over
> rotate, she doesn't do it.
> If I haven't opened the door for her to choose the back
> sacada, she doesn't do it.
> And indeed, she often does suggest things for me to lead,
> which suggestion I may accept or not.
> But generally I do because I find that level of
> conversation to be a very fun part of the dance.
>
> The point of my post was to provide a simple example to
> Mario of a different form
> of interaction than the "I talk and you listen
> one" that is often presented.

Forgive me, everyone, since this is my third (and last) post of the day, but I didn't want David to think I think ill of his partner for the rest of the day.

If you go back and reread your posts, David, you will see that it is of the "I talk and you listen" variety - only she's the one doing most of the talking.  However, your current example is exactly what I'm talking about as a good thing.   In other words, you previously presented your partner in a bad light.  Glad to hear that you are not a wuss.

Also, it sounds to me that you do dance as Sergio prescribes.

Trini de Pittsburgh

P.S. to Alexis:  The average intermediate woman prefer to work on their embellishments instead of their musicality.  I will often hear intermediate men say that they've stopped working on steps to concentrate more on their musicality, but I don't hear women professing the same thing.  Women ask me all the time to teach them some leg thing, but they don't ask me to help them work on their syncopas.  The guys do, though.  Instead, lots of women seem to think that musicality is mostly a man's responsibility and don't walk the talk when it comes music.  The good dancers, of course, work on everything.