[Tango-L] one year birthday

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 11:40:32 EDT 2008

This coming week will mark one year in Tango obsession for me.
  So, I'm going to report my thinking at this stage..just for the hell of it.
  I've probably averaged 5 hours of milongas and/or classes per week.
  I know that this isn't a lot and so I added at least 5 hours of YouTube per week on average.
  I think that I will be getting a LOT more out of watching YouTube in the future than I did in
  the past. At this stage, I am trying to just add one or two little variations/moves to my walk.
  I am taking Nuevo classes, at present, to see how they deconstruct the dance - very
  interesting!  I've taken three close embrace class series for form, etc.
  I will probably never use the Nuevo sequences but they are enlightening in many ways.
  I prefer only connection and walking. I can now walk well enough in parallel and outside
  in parallel, too. I'm now learning more the crossed footed walk and the back ochos + crosses.
  In my bag of moves, I have the ocho cortado, single axis turn, am woking on boleo..
  I like to vary the walking beat of my steps and do mostly just walking and turns.
  I especially like the Milonga song but have to wait thru a dozen Tango Tangas to get one.
  I like the Vals a lot, too....both, more so than the slow Tango.
  I've felt like quitting a couple of times but then I remind myself that it took me two years
  of daily playing to get basketball down...so, why not two years for this complicated dance?
  ..any comments or advice will be welcomed..expecially if you could suggest something that'
  would enlarge my variety on the dance floor..I fear boring the woman....the more things change...the more they remain the same.