[Tango-L] How to initiate lean

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Sep 13 12:00:31 EDT 2008

Jack:
Think of a calesita. The woman doesn't step while it's executed. Why? The man is supposed to give her a very slight lift, like leading the cross. The lift tells the woman "Don't Step." When leading the cross, the lift tells the woman "Don't move your right foot" and the only foot she moves is the left into the cross. In the calesita, the lift tells the woman to stay on her right foot (keeping her feet together) while the man moves around her. The difference between the calesita and the volcalda is in the calesita, the woman's feet are together and in the volcalda the man is leading the woman to separate the feet so that one of them does the sweep.

Michael Ditkoff
Next Saturday I'm going to New York to dance tango