[Tango-L] 30 seconds of chit-chat an Argentine custom

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Fri Sep 5 15:05:28 EDT 2008

When women are very young, they want men to talk to them.  It is the
only way they know how to connect.  This is "female".  Girls are not
only born that way, but also socialized.  When women mature, some
loose their attraction to talk because they have heard a lot and not
much is new.  They also have other ways of recognizing the meaning of
various interactions and their importance.

It is very interesting to see and hear adolescent boys talk about the
girls they like - they are not eager to talk to them.  Instead, they
are happy to see them, even from a distance.  They know that they need
to talk to her, if they have any intentions of asking her out, but
seeing the girl seems much more important.

I am always amazed at how the boy-girl interaction repeats itself in a
man-woman interaction in tango. Watching the people in the milongas
internationally for years, I have observed that the moment the dance
stops, the women's mouths begin to move.  Some never stop.  They sit
down and don't stop talking.  It is easy to chat when the dance
experience is simply pleasant and inconsequential.  The words don't
happen when it is something else.

But the chit-chat also can help people feel safe - from each other,
from themselves.

There is an old saying - "Men love with their eyes, and women love
with their ears."  In my experience living in Argentina, the men of
that culture know this little piece of wisdom.

Best,

Nina