[Tango-L] Volcada (instructional video)

Jean-Pierre Sighe jpsighe at sighes.com
Fri Sep 5 14:10:17 EDT 2008

Hi Trini,
If her back were to collapse, she would instantly become very heavy, almost
slipping away under me and most importantly, she would not be able to
sustain such pressure on her back. I can affirm to you that none of that
happens. My lovely partner can stay there in the carpa as long as I keep
here there, with no problem.
Your point reminds me of a comment someone made some years ago, after
watching Marcela Duran stay in the carpa and yet, moving into a Salida
(which is VERY, VERY difficult to do, as the mastery of balance needs to
have been acquired). The comment was that she has an "abnormally supple
back"...

By SUPPORT, I mean
1/ starting out by establishing the contact, NOT from the chest as a lot of
people think. The immediate illusion in the close-embrace is the false
contact from the "chest-down". It is not. The contact should go from the
"abdominal-up", in other words, from the "solar plexus-up".
2/ firmly holding her back in the embrace, as if you would put an imaginary
cask to hold her back.
3/ firmly holding your own torso with no wavering, to complete the support.

That is the support she needs. From there, she will indeed "let go" and come
to your chest. If the support is not there, she will by instinct resist, or
fight the leaning; why? because, she would be on her way to falling.

Your second point:
"The other point of confusion for women after they have learned a volcada is
distinguishing when she's asked to lean or when she's invited to take a
forward step"

You are here describing what would happen if the carpa is not set properly,
which is the point I'm bringing up in my article and the clip. If the carpa
is set properly, it implies that you share her axis. Therefore, the signal
she will get from you will be that of simply staying with you. She could not
feel separated to the point of taking a step.

Cordially,
Jean-Pierre S.