[Tango-L] Talking on the floor (was Labor Day Festival: a complaint)

Tango Mail tango at springssauna.com
Fri Sep 5 12:53:27 EDT 2008

Jack,

I typically chat with old friends in-between the songs, because we usually only
meet at Festivals, and neither of us is going to be sitting down to chat.  So, in
order to catch up and to be interested in each others lives and developments,
that occurs in-between the songs.  Typically this chat gets put on hold and
dancing begins at that 2nd measure mark, much like in BsAs.

What I've read about the chit chat in BsAs and it's origins, was that was the
only chance for a young suitor to talk to the girl with whom he was dancing with,
because it would not have been proper to sit next to her after the dancing;
she was there with a chaperone.  Remember the strong Catholic roots of
South America and how difficult it is/was for a young man to get to know
a young, proper, woman, and to impress her.

JK

Message: 5