[Tango-L] 30 seconds of chit-chat

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:25:08 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I also dislike this 30 seconds of chit-chat on the dance floor. Just what is its
> purpose? Someone told me it was so that the dancers could hear the music
> before starting to dance but, IMO, that just doesn't ring true.. Firstly, they're
> chatting, not listening and, secondly, the 5 seconds to make the embrace
> is surely enough to 'hear' the music.
>
> Of course, I might be missing something and I'd appreciate any enlightenment
> on the reason for this tradition in Buenos Aires. I don't think it happens in other
> partner dances.
>
> Jack

Many of the couples dancing don't know their partner. Men and women
sit in separate sections and invite to dance with a cabeceo. This
brief conversation allows them to get to know each other a little
because walking up to a table to start a conversation with a stranger
would be going against the codes of behavior in a milonga.

This is also a time to arrange outside the milonga meetings.

It also serves a purpose of allowing additional couples to enter the
dance floor after the start of the tanda.

It is also true that this 'chit-chat' does not generally occur during
'tandas' of the non-tango music played in the milongas of Buenos Aires
(jazz, Rock 'n Roll, cumbia, salsa, chacarera et al.)

Ron