[Tango-L] Labor Day Festival: a complaint

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Sep 2 15:35:17 EDT 2008

Of course the unmentioned but related problem is gender balance.
Obviously, the women don't like sitting, and the men don't like being
on the spot. Even if they aren't being pursued, they feel guilty. Both
are negative feelings.

In general, women are more likely to take privates and spend money to
travel for good tango.  Guys face some performance anxiety issues when
faced with the intensity of a crowded, energetic dance floor. It's
just more daunting for the guys, and he has to deal with launching
ideas and managing the crowded floors.

If each tango city sends 4 men and 5 women to a festival, it doesn't
sound like a problem, but when this gets applied to 300 dancers, you
have 30 extra women.

BALANCE LOCALLY

If the overall problem seems overwhelming, let's divide it into
smaller pieces where individuals can have an impact. I urge all
festival attendees (women AND men) to talk around with your friends to
see who may be coming from their own community, and to make efforts to
balance locally. Recognize that the guys may need a little coaxing,
especially if it is their first road-trip. Work out car sharing or
roommates to help with costs.

At the festival, take classes to meet and mix. It does help to show
off your friends, and introduce them around; but you don't have to
dance with them the whole time... trade them off to ladies from other
communities.

SECOND REASON TO BALANCE LOCALLY

The purpose of a festival is to meet lots of new and old friends,
create an intense dance experience and feel the excitement you get
with a room full of good dancers. This can be a transformative
experience. (I find that for the few days after a festival, the world
is a pastel and dreary place, a sort of tango hangover). You don't
want the festival to be just a pleasant memory. You want the
transformative experience to continue when you return home, and that
requires BOTH men and women to carry the festival energy.