[Tango-L] Lead and follow

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 3 19:05:17 EDT 2008

After I posted my "last note" I received even a larger number of private E-mails than before.

It seems that many men do not know how to lead, even when they have been dancing "tango" for a number of years.

They tell me that during the lesson everything seems to work fine because the woman does her part on her own but when they try to reproduce the step at the practica or the milonga, it does not work.  The woman does not get any clear lead, she then does her best (something different) and the man follows.

This is covered under the disguise of "I listen to the woman" or "I follow the woman".

Many ask the woman "how is the lead", the woman answers that she does not know what the man does, or gives all sort of criticisms and advises that do not help.

IMO:

It is important to learn how to lead.  The man should ask the instructor to teach him how to lead, then the teacher should ask the student to lead him, so that he can be certain the pupil knows how to lead.

As an alternative the man should exchange roles with another man, to practice.

The woman should be instructed to do nothing unless she gets a clear lead from the man.

The man should lead every single move the woman executes.

Some latitude could be given by allowing extra time or not, to do embellishments.  The woman has her best time in this respect with men that dance slowly, as this gives her the chance to express herself with more time but...she should never interfere with the man's dancing or his ideas nor should she take an inordinate amount of time.

Best regards, Sergio