[Tango-L] Serpentine youth in Zagreb..look out!

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:03:51 EST 2008

Trini texted:

 > It's a shame when young people sacrifice elegance for the sake of
steps, which is what this couple is doing.

Sorin scribet:

 > Of course, elegance, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, I guess elegance is in the eye of the beholder. Like when a man
wears a polyester leisure suit with the shirt color open over his
jacket collar - that might be "sport elegante" for some.

But even allowing for taste, I think that there are probably some
common principles of elegance in tango dancing. Otherwise, why would
people use the word?

I would suggest that elegance in tango dancing implies

. Upright posture - not stooping or looking at the floor
. Graceful movement, flowing - not jerky or rough
. Composure, dignity - not falling or stumbling or losing control

Fred Astair is elegant. Fred Flintstone is not.

Elegance seems to be one of the traditional values of Argentine tango
dancers. I tend to agree with Trini's comment, and feel that elegance
is not a privileged value among many of younger dancers. Has anyone
ever heard Chicho, or Fabian Salas, or Pablo Inza, or Sebastian Arce
talk about the importance of "elegance"? Or heard them say anything
like "no matter what, don't ever sacrifice your elegance to achieve a
move"?

As for Pablo Rodriguez's left arm - if that's the one we are talking
about - clearly this is a fad, and not a personal idiosyncracy. It's
one of those abrazo viruses spreading everywhere. I suspect that it's
more than imitation and people are actually teaching it. Cherie Magnus
called it "hand on a plate" in her blog (http://tinyurl.com/564rs5).

It produces a hand position that is, in my opinion, aesthetically
disagreeable. I think it is a weak line for the man. For the woman it
looks fine. It may score points in mechanics but not in beauty (IMO).

BTW - I agree that Pablo & Noelia are wonderful dancers.