[Tango-L] What's going on here?

Maria Olivera ma_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 7 16:42:19 EST 2008

I would call it a place where people are dancing some "tango related"
movements, with some "tango related" music, but that's certainly not a
"milonga" in the strict meaning of that word.

In my opinion, tango communities should start to distinguish the meaning of
the words, not just because some people are embracing one another and moving
their legs coordinately that means they are dancing Tango. Tango is not only
a sportive way of moving our bodies, but a culture that has more than 100
years of existence and its own traditions and limits, which are given by a
sense of sharing, not only sharing the dance with our partners, but sharing
the space with all the other attendants, if that lacks, then it's hard to
believe that we're respecting what many generations of dancers, musicians,
composers and teachers have been trying to build throughout the years.

Warmes regards to all of you!

María
www.tangosalon.com.ar