[Tango-L] What's going on here?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:36:33 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A recent Milonga video from Germany
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWC76wPGOo
> what's going on here?

Mostly tango fastasia elements

..is there a line of dance?

At the out edge of the floor there is, less so in the middle

> Is this Tango music?

No. The people dancing are mostly ignoring the music anyway.

> How do they reserve space to dance and what
> goes on if the tempo increases? ..is there a
> 'no kick' agreement?

You will have to contact the milonga organizer for answers to these questions

> Will this catch on do you think?

Where have you been? This is not confined to Germany. It is
characteristic of many milongas in the US as well.

> Is this happening in your town?

Unfortunately, yes, way too much of the same, and it is very popular.

> Suggestions for what to call it?

In the US it is often called an Alternative Milonga. I would prefer
that people hosting these events find a different name for it, maybe
"Nuevilonga".

Ron