[Tango-L] More Nuevo bashing. Why??

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Mon May 12 16:29:50 EDT 2008

Well, we have a perceptible divide.

It's been looming and growing for 4 years, more-or-less.

Hopefully, people on both sides are quite sensitive to the reasons and
implications.

But - there is a Problem.

Divides are not good things. Division separates and dilutes. We are seeing
the sad effects in every community.

I am one who would like to be able to not be caught on either side. I am a
professional who sincerely seeks to please all tango lovers.

I do perceive a "to hell with them" attitude happening on both sides. I
find this disturbing.

It does seem clear to me why this is happening. Unfortunately, to describe
it gets into delicate issues for one side which might tend to put the
observer in the awkward position of not being understood much by that half
of the protagonists.

Being misunderstood or misinterpreted is not something I want at all.

This shuts me up.

That bothers me too - that a balanced opinion may not be offered for open
consideration to people who lack some basic information.

During these past 4 years, I have watched as the divide opened up and
became the Problem. It doesn't take a genius to understand what the
situation is.

Addressing it to effect is something I can only wish to be able to help with.

If I could only say what what I want to and not offend anybody's
sensibilities; but that would mean some people would have to understand
more than they do now.

Teachers/leaders have to prepare that way. And apparently, they don't get it.

Woe is me and the whole tango community for that.

One side is insulted and embarrassed; one side is blithely unaware.

What a pity.

Lots of people are staying home because of it.

Maybe my friends Fabian, Gustavo and Chicho and some others would like to
show some leadership to their blithe disciples?