[Tango-L] More Nuevo bashing. Why??

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 16:34:53 EDT 2008

I am curious Mario (and others of like mind), what exactly is it that you do not like about the so-called Tango Nuevo? I know that many object to the apparent lack of musicality exhibited by tango-nuevo dancers (absolutely not inherently true in my mind), some object to many tango-nuevo dancers not observing dance floor etiquette (likewise, not special to tango nuevo). What else? There are many really bad dancers in all dancing and not that many good ones. However, we all have the right to our own expression, don't we? I know, I know, but that does not give us the right to disturb others in enjoying their own right, etc. etc. I have seen classic dancers and nuevo dancers co-existing on the same floor rather nicely, however.

A beautifully danced "nuevo" -- to some of Libedinsky's music, for
example -- can be very poetic, artistic. and romantic. And it can feel really
wonderful -- the interplay between the partners, the whole expanded way
of dance conversation.

I believe that it takes quite a skill to dance tango-nuevo well. I also believe that many shift to it from the start mistakenly believing that it is easier to dance that way. etc. etc. There are many reasons why people drift to it or simply choose to dance it, including myself who is just scratching the surface in that area.

Is it possible that those who "bash" tango nuevo never looked at it with open eyes and open heart and open mind?

I think that this may be an age old dynamic where the followers of old, established forms have hard time accepting the legitimacy of the new explorations.

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
this life is not a rehearsal