[Tango-L] Gabriella Elias

rcgimmi@aol.com rcgimmi at aol.com
Mon May 12 15:12:33 EDT 2008

INSTRUCTOR REVIEW

Gabriel Elias (edugabitango at hotmail.com)  4574-1593
website www.advance.comar/usuarios/edugabi

I took a gamble on this class and just showed up for it.  I knew
nothing about Gabriel Elias or her milonga traspie class when I
enrolled.  The results were something akin to winning the lottery.
"Fue un exito grande."

There were approximately 15 people in the classroom when Gabriel walked
in.  Ten of these students were men.  For me, that's not an auspicious
way to begin the class.  While Gabriel was talking with the class,
another five students drifted in late.  All of these -- luckily -- were
women.

Gabriel is about 5' 5", mid to late 30s, slender and has shoulder
length red hair.  She has a slightly Roman nose.  Her eyes are deep set
and bulge just a little bit in their sockets.  She has a distinctive
appearance and she is very attractive.  She's was also full of
enthusiasm and energy for the class.

First, she addressed the class in Spanish.  She said she would prefer
to teach the class in Spanish because that was her natural language;
but, if it was necessary, she thought she could use English as the
language of instruction.

Then, in English, she asked, Who here speaks absolutely no Spanish?
Two people raised their hands.  Next, she asked, Who speaks Spanish?  I
raised my hand, as did two thirds of the people in the room.  And,
finally she asked, Who speaks English?  Everyone in the room raised a
hand.

OK, she said, the class will be in English but you're going to have to
help me translate from Spanish if I get stuck.

She put some milonga music on the CD player and asked us to face the
long mirror that lines one of the studio's walls.  She demonstrated a
basic milonga step and asked us to copy it.

We arranged ourselves into four rows that were five people abreast.  We
stood behind her, watched in the mirror, followed her example and,
together, we danced.  First we advanced on the mirror.  Then, in
reverse, we danced away from the mirror.

What a pretty spectacle that was!  Everyone was simultaneously
following her steps and we were all on the beat.  We weren't partnered
up.  Each of us was dancing with the rest of the group.  If the world's
artists were to form an army, this is how it would march.

Gabriel then changed the pattern and made it slightly more difficult.
She asked us to copy it.  After we went through two more iterations of
such changes, she told us to partner up and try to combine the
exercises -- and keep it on the beat of the music.

By the time the class ended an hour later, we had done ten basic steps,
including two new, interesting ways to do back ochos.  She also showed
us some multiple, shuffling steps that are done while both the lead and
the follow stay in the cross.

A few people were still experiencing some minor difficulty at the
conclusion of the class.  But, I think everyone left with a clear
concept of what they were supposed to be doing.

As we were closing up the room in preparation for the next instructors
and their students, I told Gabriel that I was impressed with both the
lesson and her ability to conduct it in English.  (Our students were
 from Holland, Germany, Belgium, Japan, the US, the UK and who knows
where else.)  It had been an impressive performance.  Sure, she
stumbled for words frequently.  When this happened the students had
always been able to help translate.  She conducted this rather large
class without the benefit of a partner or assistants, too.

She put in a pitch for her milonga before we left.  Friday night, class
at 8:30, dinner at 10:30, milonga at 11:00 until whenever.  Avenida
Ramon Falcon 2750.  Live music and a show included.  $7.00 = $2.35US.

Gabriel gave me two of her business cards.  The second one was a group
card for Labaldosa Tango.  labaldosatango at hotmail.com  website
www.labaldosatango.com.ar.

(I subsequently learned that Gabriel has performed at Caesar's Palace
and at the Waldorf Astoria in the US.)

GABRIELA ELIAS, A BIT MORE

I enjoyed Gabriela Elias's traspie milonga class on Monday afternoon
(12.12.05) so much that I signed up to repeat the same class on
Wednesday morning (14.12.05).  I hoped the second time around might be
as inspiring as the first.  It wasn't.

The Monday class had 20 students.  The Wednesday class had 6 students
and all but one of these -- a very nice, older Japanese woman -- were
leads.  The majority of the people were also beginners.

At the start of the lesson, Gabriela apologized for the low turnout,
which she attributed to holding the class so early in the morning.
(And, yes, 11:00AM is early for much of the tango crowd.)  She then did
a nice job of teaching her students.  We received far more individual
attention that the people in the Monday class received.  But, the
Wednesday classs lacked energy.

When I reviewed Inarra and Figliolo's class last week, I said something
to the effect that having good instructors could have a galvanizing
effect on their students.  No offense to the beginners in the Gabriela
Elias's Wednesday class, but it seems that the students also have a
huge effect on the tone of the class.

Gabriela criticized the way I led the Japanese woman into the cross,
too.  To help find the problem, Gabriela and I took the embrace and we
danced a few steps so she could diagnose the problem.  She said I
shouldn't be turning my shoulders before the woman crosses.  This
touched off an interesting discussion between the two of us.

There has been a long-running debate in the tango world about whether
the "cruz" (cross) -- which is the defining step in Argentine tango --
is led by the man or done by convention by the woman.  In Portland, we
don´t hear much about this conflict because ALL of Portland's
instructors say that the cross is led.  (It's difficult to have a
debate when the opposing viewpoint isn't represented.)  Most of the
instructors in Buenos Aires, too, will say that the cross is led.
Gabriela is the first true expert I have encountered who says the cross
should be done by convention.

I didn't try to argue with her.  Neither my knowledge of tango or my
poor Spanish would allow it.  But, I did question her technique and I
said that my other instructors thought the cross should be led.  Her
response?  "En MI libro . . ." she began, as she pointed to herself.
(In MY book . . . )

She's a famous tango dancer.  I've watched her perform and I can't
argue with the results.  I danced with her again for a minute or two
and, this time, I did not lead the cross with my shoulders.  She was
satisfied I could do it her way and we dropped the matter.  I didn't
want to eat into the time she could be using to help her other students.

She remained calm during that discussion and I've continued to lead the
cross in spite of her instructions.  We understand each other's
positions and we have simply agreed to disagree.  She's very nice and
we still do the kiss on the cheek greeting before class begins.

I first became aware of the "lead vs convention" debate back in
Portland in 2003 when I began Argentine tango.  Instructor Megan
Pingree spoke about it during one of her drop in classes.  After two
years of dance instruction, I started thinking that the debate had
ended with the "led" viewpoint emerging victorious.  I am pleaased (?)
to report that the issue is still alive and kicking and the authorities
are still divided.