[Tango-L] Stone Soup 2008 Follow Up - Off-List

David dchester at charter.net
Mon May 12 13:21:19 EDT 2008

FWIW (and I only speak for myself),

I don't have an issue with criticism about American Tango, with the caviat that the criticizer try to make some sense, and actually have a clue what they are talking about.  IMO, that is the main thing that has been missing from the some of the recent criticism.

Drivel about lousy Amercian instructors (when the instructors in the video refered to are mostly not American), or foolish comments about classes at festivals (when the OsterTango festival they are hyping clearly has classes posted on-line), or posting a photo at the beginning of a milonga to make a lame argument about attendance, does little more than making the criticizers look like fools.

If you want to criticize American Tango, (and you actually want to be taken seriously, rather than come off like a clown), make a statement that has a little more substance to it than simply trying to start a flame war (for example: something you can actually support with some objective evidence).  Another thing for the critics, be just as willing accept criticism, as you are to whine and moan about others.

Just to be clear, I have no issue with the general statement that Argentine Tango is better than American Tango.  The funny thing is that it's not the Argentines who are whining and complaining about American Tango.  A lot of American spend good money on classes and workshops by teachers from Argentina (both here and there).  I wish I could dance as well as some of the Argentines, but I don't, and possibly I never will.

BTW, do the US haters agree that the Argentine Tango is better than the Tango other countries (say like in the UK or in Hong Kong), or do you actually think it's just the US Tango that is not as good as Argentina?

And with that, let the crying about American Tango continue.

David