[Tango-L] More Nuevo bashing. Why??

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 15:44:41 EDT 2008

Mario wrote:
>>hey Martin,, where did I say that I liked it?? I can't stand the critter...
>>I'm just hoping that it drops the name 'Tango' altogether...
>>I think it will someday

I understand that nuevo tango is merely a "means of analysis that enables us to
identify the movements and combinations of movements that are common in
traditional tango, and to re-use them in ways that are not common in traditional
tango." - Andres Amarilla

I may be a 60 something close embrace dancer, but I am almost embarrassed
by the curmudgeonly attitudes expressed by my fellow dancers.  I remain totally
unable to comprehend the animosity towards what is merely an extension of
traditional tango, and which is danced by many (including Andres & his wife
Meredith) to traditional tango music with beauty, grace, and musicality.

Is it jealousy?  Is it fear of change?  Is it bad tribal behavior?
Evolutionary biology meets grouchy old people?  I'm clueless!

Cheers,

D. David Thorn