[Tango-L] Tango Teaching and certification

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri May 2 11:35:45 EDT 2008

I completely changed my curriculum when I went to learn a new dance. I
tried Lindy, but the concepts were too random. I tried West Coast
swing (basically the same as Lindy, only slower and straightened out).
Same concepts as Lindy, but the instructional methdology was much more
directed and clear.

At the basic level, WCS is taught as a set of 6 or 8 "basic" patterns
that fit the music as a 6 or 8 count moves.

A leader can attend a month of classes and pick up most of these
patterns one by one, and immediately start dancing. Yes, he's wooden,
and yes, he's just repeating patterns. 2 or 6 months later (or maybe
never), a "miracle occurs", and the man is dancing intuitively,
changing off the different patterns without thinking, swapping in and
out new moves, and ready to start learning more stuff.

So, I changed from an analytical approach: walking, turns, cross-
footed theory, to a small-element approach. I also changed to a more
directed approach: Here's the music, here are 8 or 10 short sequences
that fit the music. If you have memorized 3 or 4 moves, you are
already qualified to get up and dance. Yes, their wooden. Yes, 2 or 6
(or never) months later a miracle occurs....

But, as they say in Perl, there is more than one way to do it, that
is, tango is also a Pathologically Eclectic Rubish Lister.