[Tango-L] Tango Teaching and certification

Paul Shrivastava paul.shri at gmail.com
Fri May 2 08:58:14 EDT 2008

As a life long academic also involved in building educational
institutions let me throw in my 2-cents into this conversation.  I have
reviewed all the formal "syllabuses" that I could find online (about 20)
and outlines of about 50 workshops by all sorts of Tango teachers from
US and BA.  The lack of uniformity and standards is apparent event to a
casual observer.

Tango to me is simultaneously a dance, a music and a culture.  Just
learning the steps without knowing the emotional and cultural and
intellectual meanings behind the dance,  is like learning to bake cakes
from a ready-made mix, instead of using basic ingredients.  You may
still get a cake out of it, but it is not the same.

Most Tango teaching today focuses on steps, some teacher/workshops pay
some attention musicality and emotionality.  But, there as no standards.

If you look at the evolution of professionalization in any field -
medicine, legal, management, education, they all involve developing some
standards, and establishing independent accrediting agencies that
monitor and certify them.  There are standards and accreditations in
music, dance, and theater.  So clearly standards can be created in Tango.

To build an infrastructure for certifying teachers or learners there is
a lot of basic work to be done in codifying and documenting Tango and
creating standards and norms.  Without that hard work, all this talk of
certifying and qualifying is bull.  Are there institutions, individuals,
practitioners willing to engage in this work?

Paul

Paul Shrivastava, Ph.D.
Tel 610-737-7333
www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/shrivast