[Tango-L] Qualifying

Jake Spatz spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu May 1 18:47:21 EDT 2008

Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
> Jake wrote to Joe:
>
>> Gosh -- do all the qualified instructors really know this one?
>>
> According to me, yes. These are MY minimum qualifications, as I specified.
> Jake<<<
>
> [...] Many people don't know what it means, or really care. Besides, all you have to do is look it up in a Spanish/English
> dictionary or ask someone. It takes much more skill to dance well, which is a far more important requirement.
Again, this is MY /personal/, /minimum/ standard for a "qualified"
teacher. Meaning: If a teacher doesn't meet my personal standard, I
personally consider that teacher unqualified. If your standards are
different, good for you! What's it to me?

If you get the meaning of "arrastre" from a dictionary, rather than from
the music, you've missed the point entirely. If you want a verbal
description, better to go here:
    http://www.avantango.com/Pages/Articles/musichist.html
Namely, the paragraph beginning "The absence of drums..."

Andy Ungureanu wrote:
> fyi: http://www.andrewjames.com.au/?cat=4
> [...]
> Are you sure you mean the same thing as Salgan? According to him it was not there before '43.

Salgan there is talking about "arrastre con sincopa" and, in particular,
that way of notating and/or playing the arrastre _to introduce a
sincopa_. But Troilo was doing that before 1943 anyway, as were others.
And the big arrastre on the 1st downbeat goes back to the 1920s, e.g.,
OTV and Di Sarli, Canaro, Fresedo, etc. In fact, it was even bigger back
then. Just use your ears.
> Don't listen to mp3s. Lossy compression often reduces it [the arrastre] drastically. [Jake]
>
> ???? How can mp3 change timing?? [Andy]

Not timing. Fidelity. Just use your ears. Mine detect a big difference,
but if yours don't, all the better for you.

Jake