[Tango-L] Qualifying Tango Instructors.

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 18:17:44 EDT 2008

I think we all have seen excellent tango dancers, with a through understanding of the dance, the mechanics of the dance, and the music, who can dance both roles, who should nevertheless not be teaching tango, or any other dance for that matter.  They may, for example, not have a good understanding of the different ways that people learn a physical activity, and thus whatever they teach will be lost on many (read 'on me').  Etc.

I think that this is a very hard and many layered question.  I personally try to pick instructors based on how much invited teaching they do.  Presumably festival organizers will quit asking instructors who are unacceptable to large numbers of students and will continue to invite back those who are effective.  Perhaps bogus, but it is all I can figure out to do.  I'm not sure that "qualifications" necessarily help.  Look at the US public school system.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn