[Tango-L] Ecstasis and Control

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Fri Mar 28 21:51:07 EDT 2008

Another attempt.  Needed to snip.

Barbra...

While I certainly agree with 'invitations' and all kinds of choices
being offered and given to followers by their leaders.., that really
would only apply to people who know how to respond and/or choose
correctly.    So perhaps you've missed the point of Mario's posts?

I took him to say that he had to keep her from dancing the 'other'
dance, with the motions she knew.., as she was being shown how to
Tango.    Helping her overcome her inclinations, keeping her verticle
axis,  balance, etc.    With the lady not having any previous Tango
experience, the methods Mario described seem totally acceptable. One
needs to allow a wide lattitude to a person's meanings and the words
they use, that's all...  Go for the positive, always.

Because he did state..:

>I had asked her if she wanted to experience the tango and she
>answered 'yes' ...so, all was fair in love, war and tango...

So I see no reason to get into how we all know it's 'normally' done.

As for the "seemingly decades long 'violin' debate"?   I didn't
realize you were having one.  With who?  And one so 'strongly felt'?
Especially since it's been less than 3 years since you got into Tango?
I havn't heard of any such debate myself...

Are you perchance referring to statements in my 'How to Tango'
pages..?   Where I refer to the folower being 'a violin'..?    You
don't state which side of the debate you're on.   I'd expect you would
agree with me.., but you've surprised me before.  ;-)    Actually I
don't know anyone who would disagree.    So I wonder where any
'debate' would even come from.

I state it's the leader's job to (help) bring out the *beauty* of the
follower during the dance.  There should be no disagreement (debate)
there...  I use an analogy of a leader being a Maestro and the
follower being the Strad.   And even if not referring to my
statements, no matter who relates a follower to being a violin is
totally in tune.  :-)    There should be no  question to that at all.
Nice to think you're reading them though.   Everyone should...     And
*that* is my segway to invite everyone to do so.  <g>

There is a lot of good Tango thinking in those 70 pages...  (If you
print them out.)    Much of it garnered from this very listserv  over
the last 13 years.   I have gone to the ultimate authority.., the MIT
Tango-L.., the Tango Bible.

Mario, personally I think you did a very good job of it by your
description.  When you're back in Philadelphia  I hope one of us gets
a chance to visit the other...

Carry///  Tango on...

Floyd

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *