[Tango-L] Heel First?

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Fri Mar 28 08:24:23 EDT 2008

Tango is improv...  Tango is a style.  There is nothing to remember
other than that.  There are no 'patterns'.  No 'routines'.  Nothing to
memorize...

Tango is a 'walking' dance only to the extent that it's left, right,
etc. for the most part.   The rest is to 'look' like Tango and you
can't do that with normal walking.   What is needed is style,
smoothness and 'attitude'!     To show you have one, the walk needs to
be a 'refined' version of a normal walk.    One needs to add finesse..
An attractive and classy look.  That's what gives it  'style'.    I
tell my students that if you look like you're doing Tango.., you are!
There are other reasons...  People walking forward and touching
downward first on their heel will have a harder time keeping their
head smooth.   You can see heads bobbing all over the place when you
watch a crowd walking along a sidewalk.

Then too, heel first presents more possibility of stepping on your
partners toes.  In general, keeping the toe to the floor insures you
meet your partners foot from the side rather from the top.   It
certainly insures against embarassment.., and that's something that
historic Tango 'attitude' never allowed for.    Insurances were
provided against it as with the Cabeceo and other items of tango
etiquette.

To me, sliding the foot totally flat on the floor is the way to go.
The weight being applied to the front half of the foot as you step
onto it, but keeping the heel to the floor.

This is not very hard to do at all.  Forward or to the side...  Just
practice, eh?  One's ankle is an amazing universal joint.  Its only
limitation is how far back one can step while keeping the entire foot
flat to the floor...  But of course leaders do not do this to any
great extent and the follower walking backward is certainly allowed to
come down toe first while applying the weight to the front half of her
foot....   That's the whole point in the first place, eh?    Not to
keep *switching* the weight between the heel and the ball.

As for newbies running?  :-)  I like to see them run if they can't
deal with what needs to be.   It improves the Tango breed so to speak.
Tango is not for everyone, and those who need to be schmoozed into it
only do it damage.  They have no real desire to learn anything as it's
taught and they take away from those who do.   I look for quality, not
quantity.

Abrazos..

Floyd