[Tango-L] Heel First?

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:37:48 EDT 2008

On 3/27/08, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:
>From a student of Detlef (another great walker.)who just came from a
miloguero workshop
 .>"Your feet never leave the ground (except perhaps in the old
milonguero style) as though
  there are rooted in the ground.  The feet have roots in the ground.

> .. as Tom has often pointed out, on this forum, walking toe-first is not
>   for beginners...well, is it back to the toe first for the intermediate to advanced dancers?
>    Both sides of the polemic call the other side 'old fashioned'

There are instructors of tango milonguero who teach 'heel first' and
those who teach 'toe first', those who teach 'it depends' and others
who teach 'it doesn't matter'.

Tango milonguero (or the more more broadly defined 'tango de salon')
was not developed in a tango academy by a teaching council. It
developed in the barrios of Buenos Aires and dancers with different
styles became models in their neighborhoods. Some role models walked
toe-first, some heel-first, some walked almost in contact with the
floor, others lifted their feet off the floor. So there is no one
answer; it really is a matter of personal style preferences.

Having said that, I prefer 'toe first' because it makes a softer
smoother walk. Having recently hosted Detlef and Melina in our
community, I can say that Detlef provides a wonderful example of
smooth, grounded walking that is also connected to the music. I also
believe keeping your feet very close to the floor provides stability
for partner connection.

However, I know where Tom is coming from. It requires skill and
concentration to walk landing toe-first. If you try to teach beginners
that, they will run for the exit.

Ultimately it is important to have a walk that does not jar the
follower from her axis, and to be connected to the music. Some can
accomplish this walking landing heel first, some can accomplish it
landing toe-first, and some may mix the two without even thinking
about it and still be good dancers.

Ron