[Tango-L] Ball first? Heel first?

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 13:06:43 EDT 2008

First a correction.   It is not the toe, but the ball of the foot that you
are stepping on, as opposed to the heel and second, yes, it is more difficult to
step on the ball at first, but it is also much smoother, more elegant and it
keeps your weight over the ball which maintains your vertical axis without
bending your back forward. There are many reasons to dance on the ball of the
foot. It is not a throwback or conservative or even considered a style...it is
better dancing and I personally think it looks more refined. I think it is best
to consider it not so much a fundamental (although I do) but as a refinement.

 This is not to say that you can't step on the heel sometimes and everyone
does, but over the years, all the best dancers I have seen step and walk mostly
on the ball of the foot.   All of the people I have studied with over the
years from Miguel Zotto to Danel Bastone to Carlos Gavito have also taught it. It
is not usually taught at the very beginning because it takes practice to
master it.   Most people (leaders) don't do it simply because it is too much work
to get it right. But ultimately you should try to master walking and dancing on
the ball, especially in close embrace/milonguero social dancing.

Cheers,
Charles