[Tango-L] tweaking lower back

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Fri Mar 14 20:04:48 EDT 2008

Very interesting, since my experience mirrors this. Before and during my
first trip to BA, 10 years ago, my back would often hurt. Then I started to
learn how to hold my head up, fix my spine and posture, and I now know that
tango shouldn't hurt. When it does, it's a sign that I'm falling into bad
habits.

What saddens me is how so many people blame their partners for their back
problems, when it is fairly apparent (to me, anyway) that they need to fix
their own posture. It is often used as an excuse to never dance with
beginners - but I don't think you can call yourself a good dancer if you can
only dance with good dancers. I mean, of course people should be able to
dance with whoever they can get to dance with them, but I would like them to
admit that they are doing it because they themselves have not yet fixed
their dancing, and not because a potential partner isn't yet ready to
correct it for them.

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN