[Tango-L] tweaking lower back

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 12:33:01 EDT 2008

The majority of men I dance with are sitting back on their heels with
their pelvis tucked under.  They learn the correct posture and then five
minutes later they go back to what I call 'midwestern couch slouch.'
It's not possible to dance close embrace with these guys and stay on
your own axis, because they are pulling you into their dance space.  If
you add the 'hand on the lower back pulling in' aspect it's a recipe for
  a week of back pain for me, from an hour of dancing.  The men who
DON'T dance with bad posture--the difference is as between night and day.

It's very hard to teach someone a new way of holding their body--it
involves fighting against years of body memory.  I think some kind of
exercise at the beginning of every beginner's lesson is necessary, and
teachers should go around during practice and correct this repeatedly
while the couples are dancing.  It should not be on the follows to point
it out to their partner.  I can do this with my partner but he is a
long-term partner from swing and salsa and ballroom and wants me to nag
him about it.  He says it's the hardest thing he's ever dealt with in
any kind of dance.

And, of course, women have corresponding posture issues, not supporting
their own weight, tucking their pelvis under, hanging with their weight
on the lead's right shoulder/arm.