[Tango-L] tweaking lower back

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Mar 15 21:04:38 EDT 2008

Lois:
Never mind milongas. The same thing happens at practicas and classes. Where there should be an honest, non-judgemental exchange of information to figure out why something isn't working, I've seen situations degenerate into accusations and rebuttals as if somebody was on trial for bad dancing. I guess this is why practicas have turned into milongas, so dancers don't practice what doesn't work.

To dance well requires body awareness. I didn't have any when I started, but yoga and Alexander Technique were wonderful in giving me this awareness, even off the dance floor. For example, when I walk upstairs, I have to remember not to sink into my hips but keep my skeleton elongated and go up the stairs with my body straight up, not angled to match the stairway.

Michael Ditkoff
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango
Washington, DC
3 weeks to Atlanta