[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

Emily Justusson emilylime85 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 21:54:36 EDT 2008

I don't think you answered David's question. . .
What you describe (quite nicely) is how the tanda system works now. But I believe the question was: what about in the beginning, when they presumably didn't have Biagi and DiSarli and who-knows-what-else all in one night, but rather had just one orchestra playing for them live? What was it like THEN?
-Emily

Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:
. . .
So...   Tandas are groups of Tango tunes separated by Cortinas.., the
'rock 'n roll' you mentioned.   Tandas run from 3 to 5 tunes, usually,
and a couple usually stays together until they end.   Tandas usually
are all the same artist or at least the style of Tango.   There are
Biagi tandas, DiSarli tandas,  Milonga tandas and Vals tandas, etc.
Besides there just being a decent chance to dance.., there is a
general understanding that a follower needs at least  three tunes to
learn a new leader's 'quirks' so to speak...  :-)    So it seems the
theory is that she at least be given a chance to get to know him,
before needing to part again.
. . .