[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Thu Mar 13 21:58:42 EDT 2008

If the couple is new, and I'll assume so for the purposes of Tango
etiquette described below..., the lady looks around the room for a
leader she would like to dance with...  If a leader sees a lady
looking his way, and he would like to ask her to dance, they do a
cabaceo...  He nods his head while their eyes are locked., and she
nods her's in return...  The signal means it is ok for him to approach
her.  And as he does, she will usually rise and take a few steps to
meet him part way.

And they dance...

And because it is a social dance where so many strangers dance with
each other.., there needs to be a few guidelines to insure proper
behaviour......

So...   Tandas are groups of Tango tunes separated by Cortinas.., the
'rock 'n roll' you mentioned.   Tandas run from 3 to 5 tunes, usually,
and a couple usually stays together until they end.   Tandas usually
are all the same artist or at least the style of Tango.   There are
Biagi tandas, DiSarli tandas,  Milonga tandas and Vals tandas, etc.
Besides there just being a decent chance to dance.., there is a
general understanding that a follower needs at least  three tunes to
learn a new leader's 'quirks' so to speak...  :-)    So it seems the
theory is that she at least be given a chance to get to know him,
before needing to part again.

Not to mention of course that once a leader finds the music he's
comfortable with, and the eye of a new lady he'd like to dance with,
it wouldn't be nice to have the music changed out from under him while
he's with her...

When Tandas end, it is customary for both individuals to return to
their *own* seats.    It's basically a requirement that they do so. So
that no leader can 'control' a follower for any longer than she knew
she was committing to with the cabaceo...

After they are both seated again, the leader may try to obtain her
eyes again.., with another cabaceo, and she may be looking for him to
do so.  Or having enough of him she may also refuse to look his way...

Floyd