[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Fri Mar 14 00:12:01 EDT 2008

Yes...  It looks like I misread that he didn't understand them at all
'now' as well..

But I did read Golden Age..., roughly from the mid 30's through to the
mid 50's.  And both DiSarli and Biagi as well as DiArenzo, Canaro, et
al, were playing live and of course making recordings too at that
time.   I'm sorry I didn't exactly say it, but  I believe the tanda,
cortina, cabaceo, etc were all in place at that time..   It is how how
people conducted themselves on the floor then too.   The reasons being
as I describe them...  To the best of my knowledge.

I'm sure they were worked out way before the Golden Age.   But I
wouldn't know exactly 'where and when'....     The cabaceo probably
came to be used even before there was Tango.   But if actual
origination dates for tanda and cortina are known, it's not by me.

Anyone else care to offer up those details?

Btw...  Another term I have read is "Idiota".    An (idiot) would be
someone who tries to dance to a cortina.    :-)

Hugs...

Floyd

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:54:36 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>I don't think you answered David's question. . .
>What you describe (quite nicely) is how the tanda system works now. But I believe the question was: what about in the beginning, when they presumably didn't have Biagi and DiSarli and who-knows-what-else all in one night, but rather had just one orchestra playing for them live? What was it like THEN?
>-Emily
>
>Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:
>. . .
>So...   Tandas are groups of Tango tunes separated by Cortinas.., the
>'rock 'n roll' you mentioned.   Tandas run from 3 to 5 tunes, usually,
>and a couple usually stays together until they end.   Tandas usually
>are all the same artist or at least the style of Tango.   There are
>Biagi tandas, DiSarli tandas,  Milonga tandas and Vals tandas, etc.
>Besides there just being a decent chance to dance.., there is a
>general understanding that a follower needs at least  three tunes to
>learn a new leader's 'quirks' so to speak...  :-)    So it seems the
>theory is that she at least be given a chance to get to know him,
>before needing to part again.
>. . .
>
>On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:36:36 -0600, David wrote:
>>
>>I couldn't find this discussed in the archives and am very curious:
>>
>>Back in the golden age, when you danced the entire night to one Orquesta Tipica, did they play 3 or 4 songs and then some rock 'n roll (or whatever)??  What was a night of tango like back then??  Where did the tanda system as we know it come from?  Did they change partners every song?  Or never?  I am utterly clueless.
>
>>Cheers,
>>D. David Thorn

>Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

     Buffalo Tango - Argentine Tango - How To Tango
     * * * * * *  www.buffalotango.com  * * * * * *